Indoor Air Quality Inspection Services Kitchener/ Waterloo, ON
What Causes Moisture and Air Problems in Your Home?
Condensation occurs on cold surfaces. It results from:
- Excessive moisture production:
- Ventilating with warm outdoor air during spring and summer can cause lots of condensation in basements;
- By evaporation from showers, washing dishes and clothes, cooking, aquariums, standing water, people, pets and plants;
- From inappropriate use of humidifiers;
- In damp basements;
- From earth floor basements or crawlspaces.
- Inadequate ventilation with outdoor air:
- Air inside house is not exchanged with outdoor air (in general outside air in cold weather will help dry the air inside the house).
- Cold surfaces due to:
- Inadequate heat or insufficient heat provided to areas of the home (i.e. spare bedroom heat blocked off if room isn’t used regularly, unheated basement);
- Wide swings in inside temperature (i.e. thermostat setbacks, uneven heat distribution from use of wood stoves, unheated room);
- Poor air circulation within a room due to furnishings against exterior walls;
- Poor quality windows or heat blocked by blinds or drapes;
- Poorly insulated walls and ceilings.
- Cool basement surfaces in summer.